Delicious desert!? No WAY!
9:11 PM | Author: thenewmiranda
YES WAY!

So, as I was trolling through http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ (which I will now refer to as MFP), I came upon a neat little idea.

Basically, it is a low calorie form of cake. It is cheaper than buying those WW cakes and bigger portions on top of being lower calorie! Nice deal eh?

I'll give you the basic rundown - Cake mix + 12oz of diet soda (or soda water) + 2 egg whites = VOILA!

You're laughing. I can tell.  Thats ok, I did too.  But, I'm staring at a delicious piece of cake and you're not. Who is laughing now?

Seriously though, there is a major major difference between preparing it with its recommended whole ingredients and using the above method.

Prepared via the recommended method I quickly calculated it to be about 244.5 cal/serving with 9.25 grams of fat and lord knows how much cholesterol.  (The back of the box is a lie btw, read the fine print!)
Prepared via the above method - 163 cal/serviing with 2 grams of fat and 0 cholesterol. I should also mention - 100% delicious.

What you need:

- Mix - Any cake mix - preferably a diet or low fat one.
- Soda - 12 oz of carbonated anything - diet pop or carbonated water (sometimes people think the pop makes it TOO sweet)  Just make sure that you match your pop to your cake - light to light/dark to dark with special considerations for orange and cream soda!!
- Egg - 2 egg whites to help hold it all together.
- Pan - either 9x13 or 12 muffin tin.

What you do:

Preheat your oven to 350

Throw it all in a bowl and mix it! I whisked it by hand because I was worried about over-mixing it and hey, gotta get some arm muscle right? But you can use electric mixers as well.

Once mixed pour into a lightly floured 9x13 pan or a muffin pan with papers.

You have to reduce the cooking time a little and it has been suggested to cook the cake for about 20-25 minutes and for the muffins 15-20 minutes testing both at the low end with toothpicks.


So, that was pretty easy!

I know that it maybe isn't the most "whole" food out there, but we all know that there are times where a whole food just wont cut it :D  I think this is a nice alternative and can be served with the light or non-fat whip (Cool Whip or Dream Whip) and some berries as well!
I have only made the golden mix from Betty Crocker but it was a huge hit at home and with my father in law at work too!

My next test is the tiny muffin tin!

Happy Baking :D
|
This entry was posted on 9:11 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On February 23, 2010 at 2:34 AM , Scholar Web Keeper said...

Gee,you lost 49 LBS?How long does it take? Mini skirt is my dream too...BTW how much are u now?
FROM Lola, (moncherie@yahoo.co.uk) I'm 157 lbs so shamed of saying so...:( 5.6 feet

 
On February 24, 2010 at 9:53 PM , Miranda said...

Oh Don't be ashamed to say it, be ashamed if you know it and refuse to change it!! GO check out that site www.myfitnesspal.com, it will get you started and has a great base of helpful supportive people!! Good luck on your quest!